Last Updated on 03/11/2021 by richard
Lisa and Tony’s Spanish fish and shellfish soup combines fish, clams and prawns with white wine and rice for a rich and really tasty dish.
En español: Sopa de Pescado y Marisco
Spanish Fish and Shellfish Soup
Sopa de Pescado y Marisco combines fish, clams, and shrimp with white wine and rice for a rich and flavorful dish
For the Stock:
- 1 fish-head
- 1 cup rice
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 yellow onion
For the Soup:
- 1 carrot
- 1 tomato
- 2 bay leaves
- 12 littleneck or venus clams
- 1 lb. shrimp 20 to 25 per lb.
- 1 cup white wine
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a medium saucepan or pot, pour 4 cups of water, bay leaves, fish head and clams. Simmer for approximately 15 minutes. Add the shrimp and simmer another 5 minutes.
- Chop the onion, tomato, and carrot. Heat the olive oil in a large open frying pan. Add the onion, tomato, and carrot when hot. Sauté until the onion is translucent, then add the wine and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Pour the vegetable-wine mixture in a large pot. Strain the broth and pour into the pot. Stir.
- Now that you have removed the shrimp and fish head, shell the cooked shrimp (optional) and set aside. De-bone the fish head and set the fish meat aside. Discard the bones. Place the pot on the stove and turn the heat on medium high.
- When the soup starts to boil, add the rice and simmer for 15 minutes, or until rice is cooked. Add salt and pepper to taste. When ready to serve, add back the fish meat and shrimp.
Calories: 388kcalCarbohydrates: 29gProtein: 19gFat: 19gSaturated Fat: 3gFiber: 1gSugar: 2g
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Try one of these recipes from my cookbook …
Fish and Seafood Fideuá
Fideuá is a really tasty alternative to paella using noodles instead of rice.Check out this recipe
Spanish Adobo Marinade for Chicken
This adobo is good for roasted or grilled chicken and makes enough for 1 whole chicken.Check out this recipe