Adding roasted butternut squash to this classic recipe gives it a lot of seasonal flavour.
Butternut Squash Macaroni Cheese
- 1 large butternut squash peeled and cut into 2.5cm/1in chunks
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 300 g macaroni
- 50 g butter
- 50 g plain flour
- 1 tsp English mustard powder
- 500 ml milk
- 200 g extra-mature cheddar or vegetarian alternative grated
- 50 g parmesan or vegetarian alternative grated
- Preheat the oven to 220℃/Fan 200℃/Gas 7
- Toss the squash with the olive oil and some seasoning, and roast on a baking sheet for 15-20 minutes until tender. Meanwhile cook the macaroni following the pack instructions then drain.
- Melt the butter in a pa and stir in the flour and mustard powder to make a paste. Gradually whisk in the milk and simmer to thicken to a smooth sauce stirring constantly.
- Take the sauce off the heat and mash in ⅓ of the squash with the cheddar and half of the parmesan. Season then stir in the drained macaroni with the remaining squash.
- Tip into an ovenproof dish scatter with the remaining parmesan and bake for 15 minutes until golden and bubbling.