Last Updated on 10/01/2022 by richard
When I say pigs in macaroni cheese, I mean pigs in blankets in macaroni cheese. But that’s a bit of a mouthful so I shortened it!
This is a great way to use up any leftover pigs (in blankets) from Christmas dinner. I can say without a doubt that there is none leftover in our house, ever, period. My lot head straight for them bypassing everything else on the table.
Never mind, just cook a few up beforehand.
Pigs in Macaroni Cheese
- 16 pigs in blankets
- 390 g macaroni
- 50 g butter
- 50 g plain flour
- 600 ml milk
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- A good splash of Worcestershire sauce
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 300 g grated cheese plus a little extra for sprinkling (use leftover bits you have in the fridge, Cheddar, Gruyere, Parmesan or even a little stilton)
- 65 g breadcrumbs
- Sprinkling of chopped parsley optional
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/Fan 170°C/Gas 5.
- Place the pigs in blankets on a baking tray and cook for approximately 20 minutes.
- Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil, add the macaroni and cook for about 10 minutes, until tender. Drain.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan, add the flour beating with a wooden spoon, to form a roux. Cook this out for a good minute or so. Add the milk, little by little stirring all the time until the sauce is thickened. Add the mustard powder, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper and grated cheese of your choice.
- Combine the cheese sauce with the macaroni and put in an ovenproof dish. Nestle the pigs in blankets sticking out in the macaroni and sprinkle with breadcrumbs and a little extra grated cheese. Bake for about 25 minutes until the top is golden.
- Sprinkle with parsley if liked and serve with green vegetables or a salad.