My youngest grandson was staying with me this weekend and said “Grandad, can we make cheeseburger pasta like Mummy makes”?
I have never heard of cheeseburger pasta but guessed it was some kind of pasta bake. He is a fussy eater so it had to be tasty but definitely not spicy or peppery otherwise he won’t touch it.
A quick call to my daughter-in-law and this really easy midweek family dinner was going in the cookbook.
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked penne pasta
- ¾ pound lean beef mince 5% fat
- 2 tablespoons onion finely chopped
- 4 medium tomatoes coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons pickled cucumber slices chopped
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 teaspoon steak seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon seasoned salt
- ¾ cup cheddar cheese coarsely grated
- spring onions chopped, optional
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, cook the mince and onion over medium heat in a large saute pan until the meat is cooked through.
- Drain both the mince and the pasta then add the pasta to the mince mixture.
- Stir in the tomatoes, relish, mustard, ketchup, steak seasoning and seasoned salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle with cheese. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand until cheese is melted. Garnish with spring onions if desired.