Bless the Aussies, they do love a barbecue.
Forget squid rings in batter, try this quickly cooked calamari instead. You don’t need a barbecue, you can substitute a griddle pan instead.
Barbeque Calamari with Lime and Chilli
- 1 tbs fish sauce
- 1 large avocado thinly sliced
- 6 squid tubes calamari
- 1 light tasty cheese deseeded, thinly sliced
- 1 long red chilli deseeded
- 1 bunch coriander with stalks
- 125 g cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 tbs rice wine vinegar
- 1 lime
- 2 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbs sweet chilli sauce
- 120 g baby rocket leaves
- 1 tbs salt-reduced soy sauce
- Finely chop 4 coriander roots and pick off sprigs. Set aside. Juice lime and finely chop chilli. Combine coriander roots, lime juice and chilli in a large glass bowl with vinegar and sauces and stir well.
- Cut calamari tubes along one side and open out flat. Score with a shallow diamond pattern over inside of tubes then cut into large pieces. Add to marinade, stir and cover for 1 hour, if time permits.
- Meanwhile, arrange rocket, capsicum, avocado and cherry tomatoes on a platter. Drizzle with oil.
- Heat a barbecue hot plate over medium heat. Cook calamari on barbecue for 3 minutes or until charred and squid is cooked through. Transfer to platter with salad. Garnish with coriander.