Easy mid-week braised duck legs simply braised served with kale and/or mashed potato with mustard.
Braised Duck Legs
Quick mid-week duck simply braised.
For the duck legs:
- 2 Duck legs
- 1 Onion medium
- 2 cm Root ginger
- 500 ml Chicken stock
- 2 tsp plain flour
- 500 g Potatoes Maris Piper
- 25 g Butter
- 1 splash Milk
- 1 tsp Mustard wholegrain
- 200 g Curly Leaf Kale chopped
- Freshly ground black pepper
For the duck legs:
- Peel the onion and finely dice. Peel the ginger and slice it into matchsticks.
- Heat a heavy bottom pan flameproof casserole dish until hot. Place the duck legs skin side down and cook for 5 minutes over a medium heat until the skin browns and the fat renders down. Turn the legs over and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Remove the duck legs and set them aside.
- Add the onion and ginger to the rendered fat and cook gently until the onions are translucent, about 10 minutes.
- Add the flour and cook for a minute or so. Add the stock and bring to a simmer stirring constantly.
- Place the duck legs skin side down into the mixture and return to a simmer. Cover and cook gently for an hour.
For the mashed potato:
- Peel the potatoes and chop into 2.5cm chunks.
- Put the potato into a pan of salted cold water and bring to a boil. Simmer gently for 20 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes thoroughly, add a knob of butter, a splash of milk and the mustard. Mash the potatoes to a creamy consistency.
For the kale:
- Bring a pan of salted water to a boil and add the kale.
- Return to the boil and simmer for 6 minutes.
- Drain the kale thoroughly, add a small knob of butter, stir well to coat and season with black pepper to taste.
Calories: 820kcalCarbohydrates: 67gProtein: 63gFat: 34gSaturated Fat: 13gFiber: 7gSugar: 8g
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
You can find good quality duck legs from Gressingham in all of the main supermarkets.
Try one of these recipes from my cookbook …
Duck Breast with Orange Sauce
This duck breast recipe is easy with a delicious orange sauce.Check out this recipe
Confit duck legs
Traditional French method for preparing and storing duck.Check out this recipe