Last Updated on 22/07/2022 by richard
Celebrating British Food & Cooking
If you are looking for a really easy meal to cheer up the first day of the working week then have a look at Shivi Ramoutar’s Fish Finger Wraps.
You take a couple of the classic British fish fingers and serve them in a wrap with warmed chorizo, chipotle mayo and peamolé. They are so easy and so tasty!
I saw Shivi make these while watching This Morning on ITV and thought, this recipe needs to be shared. Try them out on your grandchildren. Mine thought they were brilliant, a real hit! They did turn their noses up at the peamolé though, and no amount of encouragement would make them try it. You guessed it, they wanted tomato ketchup instead.
This recipe was featured on ITV’s This Morning program
This is such an easy meal because you just get the fish fingers out of the freezer, whack them in the oven with the chorizo slices and while they are cooking quickly make up the chipotle mayo and peamolé. What could be easier!
Slice your chorizo into coins about 4-5mm thick. Don’t cut them too thin or they will dry out in the oven.
If you prefer fresh rather than frozen fish then the recipe includes how to make your own or you can look at our recipe here.
Other Recipes You Maybe Interested in …..
Frequently Asked Questions
Are Fish Finger Wraps healthy?
The fish fingers in the wraps are made from cod which is high in protein and low in fat. These wraps contain mayonnaise and chorizo so are slightly higher in calories.
How many calories are in one of the wraps?
Try Other Recipes from the Book
This recipe is featured in Shivi’s book ‘The Ice Kitchen’.
Here’s the Recipe …
Fish Finger Wraps
For the Wraps:
- 8 Frozen or fresh Fish Fingers* (ready-made or home-made (see below))
- 1 cured chorizo ring sliced into coins
- 4 to rtilla wraps warmed (in the oven for a minute or so)
- 4 heaped tbsp mayonnaise
- 2-4 tsp chipotle paste depending on how spicy you like it!
For the Peamolé:
- 1 mug of frozen peas
- 1 garlic clove crushed
- ¼ small red onion diced
- Juice of ½ a lime
- A glug of extra virgin olive oil to loosen
- 8 sprigs coriander
- 1 to mato sliced
- *For home-made fish fingers
- 500 g meaty white fish loin or fillet (skinless and boneless), cut into 8 fish finger-sized pieces
- 100 g plain flour for dunking
- 1 free-range egg beaten
- 100 g Panko or regular breadcrumbs, for dunking
- In an oven preheated to 220°C/200°C Fan/Gas 7, pop the fish fingers on a baking tray and into the oven for 15-20 minutes (if cooking from frozen, or 10 minutes from fresh), until cooked through and piping hot, turning over halfway through and adding the chorizo (if there isn’t space on the tray to not overlap onto the fish, pop onto another tray).
- In the meantime, make the peamolé by mixing together all the ingredients either in a blender, or mash, seasoning to taste and adding the olive oil to loosen to the desired consistency.
- Make the chipotle mayo by mixing together the mayo and the chipotle paste.
- To serve, take the warmed wraps, spread over the mayo, then the peamolé, a couple slices of tomato and then layer in the chorizo and fish fingers, topping with a couple sprigs of coriander. Wrap up and enjoy.
Optional, For Homemade Fish Fingers
- To make the fish fingers, place the flour, egg and breadcrumbs in 3 wide bowls and season the flour. Dunk the fish finger first into the flour, then the egg and then the breadcrumbs. Follow the rest of the method as above for serving.