🇪🇸 En español: Dátiles Rellenos De Chorizo Envueltos en Tocino
Chorizo-stuffed Bacon-wrapped Dates: delicious and flavorful chorizo, stuffed in sweet dates, and wrapped with crispy, salty bacon! Served over a creamy roasted red pepper sauce, these little bites will wow your guests and your taste buds!
A great tapas dish recipe from Alex Snodgrass at thedefineddish.com.
Try the sauteed chorizo in red wine for another meaty tapas.
Chorizo-Filled Dates Wrapped in Bacon
For the Roasted Pepper Sauce:
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 50 g shallot finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- pinch salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 200 g red bell pepper roasted, loosely chopped
- 2 tbsp juice from a jar of roasted red bell peppers
- 400 g Tomato canned, whole
- 1 tbsp sherry vinegar
For the Chorizo-Stuffed Dates:
- 200 g chorizo uncooked, removed from the casing
- 16 date pitted
- 8 slices bacon cut in half lengthwise
- 1 tbsp fresh flat-leaf parsley finely chopped, for serving
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
To Make the Sauce:
- Heat oil in small saucepan over medium heat. Add shallot and garlic with a pinch of salt and a few cracks of black pepper. cook, stirring, until tender, 2-3 minutes.
- Add the roasted red bell peppers and the juice from the jar and continue to cook, stirring, for 3-4 more minutes.
- Add the canned tomatoes, vinegar and bring to a simmer. Once simmering rapidly, reduce heat to low, cover and let cook, simmering, while you prepare and bake the dates.
To Make the Dates:
- Gently open up the date so that it can easily be stuffed. Place about 1/2 tbsp of the chorizo in the cavity of the date. Wrap with bacon and secure with a toothpick. Place on the prepared baking sheet and continue until all of the dates are prepared.
- Transfer the dates to the oven and cook until the chorizo is cooked through, 12-15 minutes. Then, turn the oven on high broil and broil (watching carefully so that they don’t burn) until the bacon is just crisp, another 2-4 minutes depending on your broiler!
- Meanwhile, while your dates are baking, transfer the sauce to a blender and blend until smooth and creamy. Set aside, cover, and keep warm until the dates are done.
- To serve, spoon and spread desired amount of the sauce across the bottom of a serving platter. Place chorizo stuffed dates on top and garnish with parsley. Enjoy!