Last Updated on 09/01/2022 by richard
🇪🇸 En español: Morral espolvoreado con cinco especias
These delicious little whitebait deep fried in a spicy crispy coating make a great starter or tapas dish.
For another fish tapa try the sardines.
Five Spice Dusted Whitebait
Crispy whitebait deep fried with a spicy coating
- ½ stick cinnamon
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 2 star anise
- ½ tsp whole cloves
- ½ tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp Freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 eggs medium, free-range, beaten
- 100 g plain flour for dusting
- Vegetable oil for deep-frying
- 35-40 whitebait
- Lemon wedges
- Toast the spices and pepper in a dry frying pan over a medium heat until fragrant. Remove, add the salt, and whizz in a spice grinder or grind using a pestle and mortar. Pass through a fine sieve into a shallow dish. Place the beaten eggs and flour in separate shallow dishes.
- Fill a saucepan a third full with vegetable oil and heat to 180°C or until a small cube of bread turns golden brown within 1 minute. Dip the whitebait into the flour, then the egg mix, then into the spice mix. Carefully put the whitebait into the hot oil, and cook in batches for about 1-2 minutes, until browned. Remove and drain on kitchen paper. Serve with some aïoli and some lemon wedges.
Calories: 144kcalCarbohydrates: 20gProtein: 7gFat: 4gSaturated Fat: 1gFiber: 1gSugar: 1g
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Try one of these recipes from my cookbook …
Lamb Meatballs with Mint
A standout tapa, meatballs made with the classic combination of lamb and mint.Check out this recipe
Crispy Squid and Prawns with Homemade Chilli Sauce
This crispy squid and prawns tapas recipe is a great addition to any tapas spread.Check out this recipe