Last Updated on 13/10/2021 by richard
En español: Morral espolvoreado con cinco especias
These delicious little whitebait deep fried in a spicy crispy coating make a great starter or tapas dish.
For another fish, tapa try the sardines.
Five Spice Dusted Whitebait
Crispy whitebait deep fried with a spicy coating
- ½ cinnamon stick
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 2 star anise
- ½ tsp whole cloves
- ½ tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp coarsely ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 medium free-range eggs beaten
- 100 g plain flour for dusting
- Vegetable oil for deep-frying
- 35-40 whitebait
- Aïoli and lemon wedges to serve
- Toast the spices and pepper in a dry frying pan over a medium heat until fragrant. Remove, add the salt, and whizz in a spice grinder or grind using a pestle and mortar. Pass through a fine sieve into a shallow dish. Place the beaten eggs and flour in separate shallow dishes.
- Fill a saucepan a third full with vegetable oil and heat to 180°C or until a small cube of bread turns golden brown within 1 minute. Dip the whitebait into the flour, then the egg mix, then into the spice mix. Carefully put the whitebait into the hot oil, and cook in batches for about 1-2 minutes, until browned. Remove and drain on kitchen paper. Serve with some aïoli and some lemon wedges.
Calories: 144kcalCarbohydrates: 20gProtein: 7gFat: 4gSaturated Fat: 1gFiber: 1gSugar: 1g
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Try one of these recipes from my cookbook …
Lamb Meatballs with Mint Check out this recipe
Crispy Squid and Prawns with Homemade Chilli Sauce Check out this recipe