🇪🇸 En español: Morral espolvoreado con cinco especias
These delicious little whitebait deep fried in a spicy crispy coating make a great starter or tapas dish.
For another fish tapa try the sardines.
Five Spice Dusted Whitebait
- ½ stick cinnamon
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 2 star anise
- ½ tsp whole cloves
- ½ tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp Freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 eggs medium, free-range, beaten
- 100 g plain flour for dusting
- Vegetable oil for deep-frying
- 35-40 whitebait
- Lemon wedges
- Toast the spices and pepper in a dry frying pan over a medium heat until fragrant. Remove, add the salt, and whizz in a spice grinder or grind using a pestle and mortar. Pass through a fine sieve into a shallow dish. Place the beaten eggs and flour in separate shallow dishes.
- Fill a saucepan a third full with vegetable oil and heat to 180°C or until a small cube of bread turns golden brown within 1 minute. Dip the whitebait into the flour, then the egg mix, then into the spice mix. Carefully put the whitebait into the hot oil, and cook in batches for about 1-2 minutes, until browned. Remove and drain on kitchen paper. Serve with some aïoli and some lemon wedges.