Try and recreate authentic homemade chorizo that tastes much better than the shop-bought varieties, and does not contain any artificial preservatives.
A sausage machine either manual or electric would be a great help.
- 1 kg Lean pork shoulder coarsely minced
- 200 g Pork back fat diced
- 40 g Pimenton – sweet or spicy according to taste
- 2 cloves Garlic peeled and crushed
- 20 g Salt
- 1½ tbsp Black peppercorns crushed
- 1½ tbsp Fennel seeds
- 50 cm Sausage casing
- 50 ml Red wine full bodied
- Water a little
- Chop up the pork fairly finely.
- Mix in the paprika, garlic, and salt.
- If necessary, use a little water to facilitate mixing.
- Cover with cling film.
- Leave in fridge 24-48 hours.
- Fill casing with the mixture, leaving a few centimetres of casing free at one end.
- Tie a knot in the end of the casing.
- Leave to hang in a well-ventilated place, normally for 3 months plus.