The best chips you will ever taste are triple cooked.
Use Maris Piper potatoes if you can, they will be light and fluffy inside with a lovely crispy shell.
A Deep Fryer is Best
For best results, instead of an oil-filled pan, I use a countertop deep fryer like this one from (affiliate link)Amazon.
The most important benefit of deep oil fryers is the ability to control the oil temperature accurately. This takes away all the guesswork and gives consistent results.
Triple Cooked Chunky Chips
- (affiliate link)Deep Fat Fryer
- 0.5 kg potato Maris Piper
- Rapeseed Oil
- Sea salt
- Peel the potatoes and cut into chips 5cm long by 1cm wide
- Rinse the chips under cold water until the water runs clear – this will remove some of the starch
- Add the chips to a saucepan of cold water and bring to a gentle simmer. Simmer the chips until they are soft to the touch but not cooked all the way through, about 15mins.
- Drain the chips and chill in the fridge until dry and cold – this will take at least 30 minutes
- Preheat a deep fat fryer to 130⁰C
- Fry the chips in batches for 5–8 minutes until a crust forms but with no colour. Remove the chips and place them on a baking tray. Chill in the fridge again for approximately 30 minutes Once chilled, turn the deep fat fryer up to 180⁰C
- Deep-fry the chips in batches for a second time for 4–7 minutes until crisp and golden – don’t overcrowd the fryer as this will cause a drop in the oil temperature
- Drain on absorbent kitchen towel and season with salt before serving