Last Updated on 28/12/2021 by richard
🇪🇸 En español: Pan con tomate y anchovy
Pan con Tomate – “bread with tomato” – is a Spanish tapas classic. It’s a super easy combination but it transforms plain old bread into a tasty side or base for an open sandwich.
Pan con Tomate y Anchovy
Pan con Tomate – "bread with tomato" – is a Spanish tapas classic.
- 2 Tomato large ripe beefsteak
- 1 loaf Ciabatta split in half horizontally lengthwise, cut crosswise into 1 1/2-inch slices
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic split in half
- Sea salt such as Maldon
- Anchovy fillets
- Split tomatoes in half horizontally. Place a box grater into a large bowl. Rub cut faces of tomatoes over the large holes of a box grater, using the flattened palm of your hand to move the tomatoes back and forth. The flesh should be grated off, while the skin remains intact in your hand. Discard skin and season tomato pulp with kosher salt to taste.
- Adjust oven rack to 4 inches below the grill and preheat to high. Place bread, cut side up, on a cutting board and brush with some of the olive oil. Season with the salt. Place bread, oiled side up, on a rack set in a tray or directly on the grill rack and grill until crisp and starting to char around the edges, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove bread from the oven and rub with the split garlic cloves. Spoon tomato mixture over bread. Drizzle with remaining extra-virgin olive oil and season with flaky sea salt.
- Place an anchovy fillet along with the slices and top with a teaspoon of alioli.
Calories: 194kcalCarbohydrates: 40gProtein: 7gFat: 1gSaturated Fat: 1gFiber: 2gSugar: 3g
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Try one of these recipes from my cookbook …
Sherry Glazed Chorizo and Chickpeas
An easy Spanish dish of sherry-glazed chorizo and chickpeas. Perfect for sharing.Check out this recipe
Lemony Skewered Artichokes
A tasty tapas dish with lovely griddled artichokes.Check out this recipe
Grandads Cookbook may reference or include sections of text and images reproduced courtesy of: