Stir fried eels are so quick to make and preserve the firmness of the fish.
Stir Fried Eel with Black Bean Sauce
- 250 g skinned eel fillet
- 1 1/2 tsp cornstarch
- 1 1/2 tbsp Chinese fermented salted black beans
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 2 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 2 cloves garlic finely shredded
- 2.5 cm fresh ginger finely shredded
- 1 medium-hot red chilli pepper thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp Chinese rice wine or dry sherry
- 1 tsp dark soy sauce
- 4 spring onions cut on the diagonal into long, thin slices
- Cut the eel fillet diagonally into pieces that are 1 inch (2.5 cm) wide.
- Toss the eel with a little salt and then the cornstarch.
- Put the black beans, sugar, and 2 tablespoons of cold water into a small bowl and crush to a coarse paste.
- Heat a wok over a high heat until it is smoking hot. Add the sesame oil and garlic, quickly followed by the ginger, red chile, and black bean paste. Stir-fry for a few seconds, then add the eel pieces and stir-fry for 1 minute.
- Add the rice wine or sherry, soy sauce, and 3 to 4 tablespoons of water, and cook for 2 minutes, until the eel is cooked through.
- Add the spring onions to the wok and stir-fry for about 1 minute. Serve immediately, with some steamed rice.