This traditional Portuguese dish of seafood pasta from Pedro Barbosa at foodfromportugal.com is an excellent choice for lunch or dinner.
Seafood pasta (Portuguese style)
- 400 g prawns
- 500 g clams
- 150 g crab sticks
- 1 medium onion
- 1 small onion to cook the shrimp
- 2 cloves garlic
- coriander to taste
- 3 medium ripe tomatoes
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 200 g penne pasta
- 75 ml white wine
- 1 tsp paprika
- 50 ml olive oil
- salt to taste
- Wash the clams under running water and set aside.
- Put the shrimp in a saucepan with water seasoned with some salt and a small onion. Bring to a boil over high heat. When starts boiling, reduce to low heat and cook for 6 to 7 minutes. When the shrimp is cooked, drain it with a skimmer and let cool. Peel the shrimp and set aside.
- Put the olive oil, the chopped onion and the chopped garlic in a saucepan and cook over low heat until the onion start to turn slightly golden. Add the peeled tomato cut into small pieces and cook until the tomato start to break down, stirring occasionally. Then, pour the white wine and cook for 5 minutes. Add the pasta, the clams and season with some salt, pepper and paprika. Stir, pour the water (enough water to completely cover the mixture) and boil over medium-high heat. When starts boiling, reduce to low heat and cook about 10 minutes.
- When the pasta is almost cooked and the clams start to open, add the crab sticks cut into pieces and the shrimp. Stir and cook for more 3 to 4 minutes. Turn off the heat, sprinkle with chopped coriander and serve.