Last Updated on 11/01/2022 by richard
Traditional Spanish gazpacho is easy to make, super healthy, bursting with flavour, and absolutely delicious! Serve as an appetizer in a small bowl with toppings, or from a glass as a drink. Either way, it really hits the spot on a hot day!
- 6-7 Tomato medium, use vine-ripened when possible, and don’t use the green salad tomatoes!
- 1 green pointed pepper
- 1 cucumber
- ½ white onion small
- 1 clove garlic
- 60 ml Extra Virgin Olive Oil quality is important
- 1 splash Sherry vinegar – Vinagre de Jerez although red or white wine vinegar can be substituted
- 1 pinch salt
- Optional toppings: e.g. diced green apple diced onion, diced pepper, croutons, & hard-boiled eggs
- Wash and dry all of the vegetables very well—if you prefer to peel the tomatoes you can, although I usually leave the skin on.
- Cut the tomatoes into 4 slices (leaving the core behind) and put into your blender.
- Halve, core, and de-seed the pepper. Cut it into a few slices and add to the blender.
- Peel the garlic and slice it in half. Remove the core (which often results in bitterness when not cooked).
- Cut the onion into a few slices and add it to the blender too.
- Peel the cucumber and cut it in half. Add half to the blender and save the other half for a topping.
- Blend the vegetables at a high speed until it is completely pureed.
- Add the salt and vinegar and, while blending on a slow speed, slowly add the olive oil.
- Taste and adjust salt and vinegar. If the texture is too thick for your liking add some cold water.
- Refrigerate and serve VERY cold! Add as many (or as few) toppings as you like.