These easy to make churros are served with a delicious warm chocolate sauce, for a fun and delicious treat.
Churros con chocolate are a classic Spanish sweet snack made from a choux pastry style mix, piped with a star-shaped nozzle into long straight or curled fingers, fried in oil and coated in a mix of sugar and cinnamon.
Churros con Chocolate
- (affiliate link)Wok
For the cinnamon sugar:
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
For the chocolate sauce:
- 1 ¼ cups double cream
- 1 cup finely chopped semisweet 70% chocolate
For the Churros Dough:
- 1 cup water
- 2 ½ tablespoons granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup plain flour
- Vegetable oil for deep frying, about 4 cups (1 L)
- Cinammon Sugar: In a small bowl, mix the sugar and cinnamon just to combine. Set aside.
- For the chocolate sauce: In a medium saucepan over medium heat, add the cream. Let it come to a gentle simmer, making sure it doesn’t boil. Place the chocolate in a heatproof bowl, then pour the hot cream over the chocolate and cover the bowl with plastic wrap. Allow to sit for 4 minutes, or until the chocolate is melted. Remove the plastic wrap, and whisk or stir to combine. Set aside.
- Churros Dough: In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine the water, sugar, salt, and vegetable oil. Bring to a boil, then remove the pan from the heat. Using a wooden spoon, beat in the flour until thick paste forms. Return the pan to the heat, and cook for another minute.
- Heat the oil in a heavy-bottomed pot or wok over medium-high heat to 375°F (191°C). Line a baking sheet with paper towels.
- Place the dough into the piping bag. Pipe dough about 2 1/2 inches (6 cm) in length into the oil, use scissors to cut the dough. Do 3 or 4 at a time so as not to overcrowd the pot. Deep-fry until golden brown and crispy, about 4 minutes. Remove using a slotted spoon or spider and let drain on the paper towel–lined baking sheet. Immediately toss with the cinnamon sugar to ensure the coating will stick. Repeat with the remaining batter.
- Serve warm or at room temperature with the chocolate sauce.