Last Updated on 24/11/2021 by richard
🇪🇸 En español: Calamares Rellenos con Morcilla
These baby squid stuffed with morcilla, (Spanish black pudding) make a great tapa.
This recipe was inspired by one from Jamie Oliver influenced by a couple of others I found on the web.
Serve with a chipotle and lemon salsa style sauce to balance out the richness of the black pudding.
For a bit of luxury, add a couple of handfuls of clams into the sauce!
Morcilla Stuffed Baby Squid
For the Squid:
- 8-10 baby squid bodies, not tentacles
- 2 small morcilla links or 6oz of your favorite black pudding, casings removed
- 1 onion small, diced finely
- 2 cloves garlic crushed & chopped
- 1 tsp sweet paprika pimento dulce
- 1 tbsp Fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp fresh flat-leaf parsley finely chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 8-10 toothpicks
For the Sauce:
- 2 Tomato plum, diced finely
- 3 tsp chipotle powder
- ½ clove garlic finely diced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 squeeze Fresh lemon juice
- 2 handfuls clams raw, scrubbed
- 200 ml white wine
For the Squid:
- Rinse out the squid with cold water and pat dry.
- Add oil to saute pan and, when at medium heat, add onions. Allow to sweat for 3-5 mins until soft.
- Break up morcilla/sausage with your fingers and add to pan. Continue to break up with a spoon while it cooks.
- When onions and morcilla are well combined, add garlic and paprika/pimenton, and mix well.
- Increase heat to medium high and add lemon juice.
- When ready, mixture should be well-combined and pretty coherent rather than loose or solid.
- Allow to cool enough so you can handle it.
- Fire-up your grill/barbecue to medium-high.
- Salt interior of squid lightly and stuff with mixture and “sew” top closed with a toothpick.
- Do not overfill. Squid shrinks when cooked and too much filling will cause it to leak and make a mess of your grill.
- Meanwhile, preheat a griddle pan over a high heat. Grill the stuffed squid on both sides until chargrilled.
- Remove from grill and allow to cool a little.
For the Sauce:
- Heat saute pan to medium. Add the garlic and half of the olive oil.
- When garlic is lightly colored, add the tomatoes.
- The tomatoes should melt into a sauce texture with a little stirring.
- Add the water, salt, parsley and chipotle powder. Combine well.
- Reduce the heat. Add the lemon juice and remaining olive oil.
- Serve over and under the stuffed squid.
For the (optional) Clams
- Heat the wine in a saucepan. Add the clams to the pan, discarding any open clams that do not close when given a sharp tap.
- Cook for 5 minutes, or until the clams are open. (Discard any that do not open.)
- Remove the clams and pick out the meat. Strain the cooking liquor into the tomato sauce, bring to a simmer and reduce. Add the clam meat and parsley to the sauce and stir well.
- Jamie Oliver
- Saturday Kitchen – Matt Tebbutt