En español: Chipirones a la Plancha
Grilled baby squid is very easy and fast. You only need extra virgin olive oil, some garlic, a little parsley and salt flakes.
Whether you use fresh or frozen squid is entirely down to your own preference. The freezing process breaks down some of the fibres in squid so tenderizes the flesh prior to cooking.
You can buy ready prepared squid or your fishmonger will do it for you. If you get yours fresh and need to clean it yourself then follow the steps in how to clean squid.
With water temperatures warming around the UK coast squid are being caught by anglers more frequently. If you fancy trying to catch your own have a look here.
Whichever way you get yours, cooked properly grilled baby squid is delicious and is a really sustainable source of seafood.
Chipirones a la Plancha
- 6 fresh squid
- 3 Garlic roughly chopped
- fresh flat-leaf parsley chopped
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Flaked sea salt
- Clean the squid thoroughly leaving only the white body tube and the tentacles.
- Grill the squid for 1-2 minutes on each side at medium-high heat
- Take them out and reserve on a plate
- Briefly sauté the tentacles and reserve with the squid bodies
- Gently brown the chopped garlic in the pan.
- Serve the squid with their tentacles and sprinkle them with the garlic.
- Garnish with a little chopped parsley and a little flaked salt
You may also like …
Grandads Cookbook may reference or include sections of text and images reproduced courtesy of: