Last Updated on 11/01/2022 by richard
Easily made ahead of time, bread sauce is the classic accompaniment for the Christmas turkey.
Bread Sauce for Turkey
- 1 onion large, peeled
- 10 cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 8 black peppercorns
- 570 ml full-fat milk
- 2 tbsp double cream
- 110 g fresh white breadcrumbs
- 40 g butter
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Press all the cloves into the whole peeled onion and place in a saucepan. Add the bay leaf, peppercorns and milk. Bring to the boil then remove from the heat. Set aside for 15 minutes.
- Pass the liquid through a sieve into a saucepan or remove the onion, bay leaf and peppercorns. Stir the breadcrumbs into the milk and place over a low heat for 5-10 minutes or until the breadcrumbs have absorbed all the liquid and the sauce is the desired consistency (see tips section for if you are making the bread sauce ahead of time). Stir occasionally.
- Stir in the butter and cream and season, to taste, with salt and pepper.
👨🍳 Recipe Tips
If you are making this a day or two before you want to eat it, make the sauce a little looser than normal as it will thicken further when reheated. Reheat in a saucepan over the hob or a bowl in the microwave.