Dedication: For Darren x
Red Thai leftovers is a different way to use up the leftover meat from Sunday dinner. Works best with chicken or pork.
Red Thai Leftovers
Use up the leftovers from Sunday dinner with an oriental twist.
For the Curry:
- 400 g Cooked pork or chicken
- 1 Medium onion diced
- 3 cloves Garlic diced
- 1 Red chilli
- 25 g Root ginger cut into thin strips
- 1 can Water chestnuts
- 1 can Bamboo shoots
- 1 tsp Fish sauce
- ½ Red pointed pepper
- 2 tbsp Massaman paste
- 1 can Coconut milk
- 1 Lime
For the Side:
- 2 bunches Spring onions
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 tsp Toasted sesame oil
- Fresh Basil
For the Red Curry:
- Gently fry the onion in the oil in a heavy bottom pan over a low to medium heat for 5 minutes until translucent and browning at the edges. Add the garlic, red peppers, ginger and chilli and fry for a further 2 minutes.
- Add the massaman paste, stir well and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the fish sauce, stir to combine and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the strips of meat, stir well to coat the meat and fry gently until the meat softens and absorbs some colour.
- Add the water chesnuts and bamboo shoots and cook for a further 2 minutes until heated through.
- Add the coconut milk, mix well, cover and simmer gently for 15 minutes.
- Remove the lid and raise the heat to reduce the liquid until a creamy consistency.
- Squeeze over the juice of a lime and serve.
For the Side:
- While the curry is simmering, top and tail the spring onions, then slice diagonally into 5cm lengths.
- In a heavy bottom frying pan, heat the rapeseed oil over a medium heat. Add the spring onions and fry for 2 minutes turning frequently. Sprinkle over a pinch of salt and a drizzle of the toasted sesame oil and turn over a couple of times. Cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Put a spoonful of the onions on top of the curry to serve with some basil leaves.
For a milder curry, deseed the chilli before slicing. For a lighter curry use light coconut milk.
Calories: 513kcalCarbohydrates: 21gProtein: 30gFat: 36gSaturated Fat: 23gFiber: 4gSugar: 6g
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!