This Spanish-style chicken bake is a one-pot wonder that’s made with juicy chorizo, chicken and veg. Perfect for a midweek supper or a weekend alternative to a weekend roast. Because everything cooks together, this really allows the flavours to come together nicely.
Spanish Chicken Bake
- 1 Medium onion cut into 8 wedges
- 1 Medium red onion cut into 8 wedges
- 500 g New potatoes quartered lengthways
- 8 Whole garlic cloves unpeeled
- 8 Medium tomatoes quartered
- 75 g Chorizo
- 8 Chicken thighs bone in, skin on
- 100 g Black olives pitted and halved lengthways
- ½ tsp Sweet smoked paprika
- ½ tsp Dried oregano
- 1 Green pepper deseeded and cut into strips
- Flaked sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6. Put the potatoes in a large roasting tin and season with salt and pepper. Drizzle with olive oil and roast for 20 minutes.
- Add the onions, garlic and tomatoes, season with salt and pepper. Lightly drizzle with olive oil, toss everything together gently, and roast for 20 minutes.
- While the vegetables are roasting, cut the chorizo into thin slices, 5mm is about right. Put the chicken thighs on a board and carefully slash each one 2 or 3 times with a knife. Season all over with pepper. Mix the paprika and oregano together and set aside.
- Take the roasting tin out of the oven, scatter the chorizo over the veg and turn everything a couple of times. Place the chicken on top of the vegetables and chorizo and sprinkle with the paprika and oregano. Season with a little salt and return to the oven for 20 minutes.
- Take the tin out of the oven. Holding one corner carefully with an oven cloth, lift the tin a little so all the juices run to the opposite end. Spoon and drizzle the juices back over the chicken. Tuck the pepper strips and olives loosely around the chicken and vegetables.
- Turn the oven up to 220°C/425°F/Gas Mark 7. Put the tin back in the oven for another 20 minutes or until the peppers are just softened and the chicken is golden and crisp.