The delicate flavours of skate are given a boost with chillies and roasted cherry tomatoes and a dressing of capers, lemon juice and mustard gives a further piquant kick. So delicious and yet still on the table in under 30 minutes, perfect for knocking up a quick Friday fish supper.
- 2 Skate wings 300g
- ½ tsp Dried chilli flakes
- Olive oil
- 200 g Cherry tomatoes
- 2 Lemons
- 2 knobs Butter
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- Sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/Fan 180°C/Gas 6. Toss the cherry tomatoes and chilli flakes in 1 tbsp of olive oil and roast in a large roasting pan for 10 minutes.
- Season the skate wings with salt and pepper and transfer to the roasting pan, moving the tomatoes to one side. Roast for 15 minutes.
- Make the dressing by gently melting the butter in a small non stick pan, let it cool for a while and then whisk in 2 tbsp's olive oil, the juice of a lemon and the mustard.
- Pour the dressing over the fish and tomatoes and return to the oven for 10 minutes more.
- The skate is cooked when the flesh can be lifted away easily from the centre bone.
- Serve with a quartered lemon, the tomatoes and the pan juices.New potatoes go well to soak up the sauce.