Try these smashed and roasted potatoes for a different take on the traditional roasties. With crisp outsides and really tender insides, they are a delicious side dish.
They go really well with steak or fried chicken!
Smashed and Roasted Potatoes with Garlic
- 2 ½ lb new potatoes about 20
- 1 tbsp salt
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter unsalted, melted
- 2 cloves garlic pressed
- 2 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- ¼ cup fresh flat-leaf parsley chopped
- Preheat oven to 230°C/450°F.
- Place potatoes in a large pot. Add enough water to cover and bring to a boil. Add salt, reduce the heat, and simmer until tender, 15 to 22 minutes. Drain well.
- Spread 1 Tbsp oil on a large rimmed baking sheet. Place each potato on the sheet and, with the bottom of a glass, gently press until crushed but still intact. Brush tops with 1 Tbsp oil and roast 25 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine butter, garlic, thyme, and the remaining oil. Brush over potatoes, then roast, rotating the baking sheet once, until deep golden brown and crisp, 7 to 10 minutes. Toss with parsley and ¼ tsp salt.