Perfect mashed potatoes are quick and easy to make when all you need is a pan, water, potatoes, a masher, lots of butter, and about 25 minutes of your time. They are the backbone of both British and Irish Food.
- Potatoes, peeled Maris Piper
- 1 Egg yolk
- Chop the potatoes into 2.5cm chunks.
- Add the potatoes to a pan of salted water and bring to the boil. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes and return to the pan. Add a knob of butter, a splash of milk, salt and pepper to taste, and the egg yolk.
- Mash the potato until smooth and creamy with no lumps.