Have some fun in the kitchen making this courgette pizza boat recipe. Halve and roast some fresh courgettes (zucchini to our American cousins) before loading them with your favourite pizza toppings, such as chorizo, mushroom, creamy mozzarella and fresh basil.
Ready in 30 minutes they are absolutely brilliant for a kid’s party with a difference.
Courgettes are in season from July to October so now is a perfect time to try this recipe out.
Get the Kids to Grow Courgettes
Courgettes are easy to grow and highly productive plants, bearing masses of delicious, nutty crops for use in summer dishes and salads. They are prolific croppers so just two or three courgette plants are enough to feed a family, with enough left over to give to friends. You can buy young courgette plants at the garden centre in late spring, but they are easy to grow from seed.
If you have a garden or allotment then space is no problem but they also do well in containers which is where I grow mine.
Other Recipes You Maybe Interested in …..
Courgette Pizza Boats
- 4 courgettes/zucchini
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 200 g passata
- 200 g cherry tomatoes halved
- 75 g chorizo diced
- 1 tsp dried mixed herbs
- 150 g mozzarella sliced
- 6 button mushrooms thinly sliced (optional)
- 30 g Fresh basil leaves
- 1 red chilli halved and sliced (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan 180°C/gas mark 6. Halve the courgettes lengthways. Scoop out the seeds using a teaspoon and roughly chop them. Place the courgette halves on a roasting tray, brush with the oil and bake for 12-15 minutes, until just soft.
- Meanwhile, add the diced chorizo to a medium saucepan over a medium heat and cook for 3-4 minutes, until golden and the oil has started to release. Add the garlic and cook for a further minute. Add the courgette seeds, tomatoes, tomato passata, mushroom slices if using and the dried herbs with seasoning and simmer for 5 minutes with the lid on, until the tomatoes have softened and burst slightly. Remove the lid and cook for a further 5 minutes until thickened. Stir through half the basil.
- Preheat your grill to the highest setting. Divide the tomato mixture between the roasted courgettes and top with the mozzarella. Place under the grill for 3-4 minutes, until the mozzarella is melted and golden. Top with the remaining basil and divide between 4 plates to serve.