Golden honey roasted parsnips are a traditional accompaniment for roast turkey.
Add some festive lift with some parmesan and chilli for a twist on a classic.
Honey roasted parsnips
- 500 g Parsnips
- 1 tbsp Plain flour
- 1 tbsp Honey
- 2 tbsp Sunflower oil
- 2 tbsp Butter
- Thyme sprigs
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp Dried chilli flakes
- Parmesan finely grated
- Preheat oven to 190°C/fan 170°C/ gas mark 5.
- Top and tail the parsnips, cutting any larger ones in half lengthways.
- Put in a large saucepan, cover with salted water and parboil for 5 mins.
- Drain well and allow to steam dry for a few minutes.
- Pick the thyme leaves. Toss the parsnips with the thyme, honey, a pinch of sea salt and some black pepper. Add the flour plus the parmesan and/or chilli flakes if using and again toss well to coat.
- Put in a roasting tin with the oil and butter, and roast for 40 mins, turning halfway, until golden.
Inspired by recipes from:
- Jamie Oliver
- BBC Good Food