You can’t have a full English breakfast without fried bread.
Celebrating British Food & Cooking
If you want to keep your cholesterol levels low, then eating fried white bread on a regular basis is not the best way to go about it. Stick with toasted wholemeal bread instead.
But having the occasional slice and/or English breakfast as part of a balanced diet will not do you any harm and just tastes so good!
Try a slice with a fried egg on top. The crispy golden bread with a runny yolk is a perfect match.
Use my recipe to make a quick lunchtime treat with an egg on top or for the full English breakfast experience. It won’t disappoint!
Other Recipes You Maybe Interested in …..
Here’s the Recipe …
Perfect Fried Bread
- (affiliate link)Frying Pan
- 2 slices thick white bread
- 120 ml milk
- 3 tablespoons duck fat goose fat or beef dripping
- Heat the fat in a frying pan until it is very hot (almost smoking). Meanwhile, pour the milk into a saucer or shallow dish and take two slices of thick cut bread and ‘dunk’ them on both sides in the milk. This prevents them from absorbing too much fat and keeps the middle of the bread nice and moist.
- Place the bread in the frying pan (stand back – it sizzles!), leave for about 30 seconds, then check the underside to see if it’s browning. Keep checking until it is golden brown (it’s easy to burn if you’re not careful) then turn the bread over and cook the other side in the same way. You will almost certainly find that you have to add more fat as you cook, since fried bread does absorb it quite a lot.
You may also like …
Frequently Asked Questions
What is English fried bread?
Usually served as part of a full English breakfast, fried bread is a slice of bread, usually white, shallow fried in beef dripping, oil or on special occasions, duck or goose fat.
Is Fried Bread Healthy?
White bread fried in oil or fat is high in calories with 22g of fat but its so tasty, how can you resist maybe just one slice now and again. Use olive oil to keep the fat and calories down.
What’s the difference between fried bread and toast?
Toast is dry cooked in a toaster or under the grill. Fried bread is shallow fried in oil or fat.
How many calories in a slice of fried bread?
1 slice cooked in olive oil will be about 140 calories. Fried bread cooked in goose fat will be much higher at about 270 calories.