- 500 ml Double cream
- 500 ml Milk full fat
- 3 cloves Garlic
- 8 Potatoes large King Edward or Maris Piper
- 100 g Cheese grated gruyère or cheddar
- Pre-heat oven to 190°C/170°C fan/gas 5.
- Tip the double cream, milk and garlic cloves into a large saucepan and bring to a simmer.
- Slice the large potatoes very finely, about 3-4mm, add them to the cream and simmer for 5 mins or until just cooked.
- Gently stir to separate the potato and stop it sinking and catching on the bottom of the pan.
- Remove the potatoes with a slotted spoon and place in a wide shallow ovenproof dish. Season with salt and pepper between each layer until they are about 5cm in depth.
- Pour over the garlic-infused cream (discarding the garlic) – just enough to seep through the layers and leave a little moisture on the surface.
- Scatter over the grated cheese, then bake for 30 mins until the potatoes are soft and browned – increasing the heat for the last 10 mins to brown the crust.