Jamie Oliver’s indulgent vanilla custard, great with crumbles and sponge cakes.
“Is there anything nicer than a silky smooth homemade custard? This one is flavoured with gorgeous fresh vanilla and couldn’t be easier to make. Awesome with a classic crumble. ” Jamie Oliver
- 1 vanilla pod
- 600 ml full-fat milk
- 4 Egg yolks large, free-range
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- Halve the vanilla pod and scrape out the seeds. Add both the pod and seeds to a pan on a medium-low heat, pour in the milk and bring just to the boil.
- Remove from the heat and leave to cool slightly, then pick out the vanilla pod.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk the egg yolks with the sugar and cornflour until pale.
- Gradually add the warm milk, a ladle at a time, whisking well before each addition.
- Pour the mixture back into the pan and cook gently on a low heat for about 20 minutes or until thickened, whisking continuously. Delicious served with all kinds of crumble.