One of my favourite steak sauces – a creamy Peppercorn Sauce made with Jack Daniels, beef broth, cream and plenty of crushed peppercorns.
- 3 shallots finely diced
- 2 tbsp black peppercorns coarsely ground
- 60 ml Jack Daniels or other bourbon
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- Worcester sauce
- 200 ml single cream
- beef stock concentrated
- Olive oil
- Put a heavy bottomed pan on a medium heat. Add a splash of olive oil and a knob of butter.
- Add the shallots and garlic and sautee until they start to turn light golden brown.
- Add the peppercorns, splash of Worcester sauce and the mustard. Stir everything around and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the Jack Daniels, allow to heat up for a couple of seconds, then stand back and ignite the vapours with a match.
- Allow the flames to die down on their own and burn off all the alcohol. It is very important to flambee the bourbon as the syrupy liquid thats left will thicken your sauce.
- Add the cream and a splash of the liquid stock to taste, then mix everything through.
- Let the sauce bubble away and reduce slightly for 2 or 3 minutes and its done.