Last Updated on 10/01/2022 by richard
Traditionally cooked Spanish roast lamb for a spectacular Sunday dinner or alternative Christmas feast.
Slow-cooked tender and succulent lamb with butter beans and roasted red peppers.
This recipe takes inspiration from both Tom Kerridge and Alison Adams.
Spanish Style Slow Roast Lamb and Beans
For the Roasted Peppers:
- 2 Red pointed peppers halved and de-seeded
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
For the Lamb:
- 2 ½ kg lamb leg or shoulder
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions roughly chopped
- 4 carrots roughly chopped
- 1 garlic bulb outer layers peeled and cut in half
- 500 ml chicken stock
- 3 cans butter beans 400g cans, drained and rinsed
- roasted red peppers prepared earlier, roughly chopped
- 300 g jar pitted black olives drained
- 250 g cherry tomatoes optional
- 4 tbsp chopped flat-leaf parsley
For the Spice Mix:
- 4 garlic cloves crushed
- 1 tbsp hot smoked paprika
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp dried rosemary
Roast the Peppers:
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/Fan 180°C/Gas 6.
- Place the halved peppers on a baking tray, sprinkle with salt, and drizzle with olive oil. Roast in the top of the oven for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and when cool, roughly chop into 2.5cm chunks.
Marinade the Lamb:
- To make the spice mix, combine all of the ingredients together with a large pinch of salt. Slash the lamb shoulder all over with a sharp knife and rub in. If you have the time, marinate for up to 24 hrs, but this is not essential.
Cook the Lamb:
- Heat the oven to 150°C/130°C Fan/Gas 2. Heat the oil in a large flameproof casserole dish or roasting tin over a medium-high heat, add the onions, carrots, and garlic, and sizzle for 5 mins until the onions and carrots are softened. Pour over the stock, then bring to the boil. Nestle the lamb in the pan and cover, then transfer to the oven and roast for 2 hrs.
- Uncover and transfer the lamb to a plate using tongs. Stir the beans, roasted peppers, and olives through the stock in the pan, sit the lamb back on top and return to the oven, uncovered, for 1 hr 30 mins until the lamb is cooked through.
- Place the cherry tomatoes around the lamb 30 minutes before the end of cooking time if using.
- Transfer the lamb to a board and shred using two forks. Stir the parsley through the braised beans before serving.
Try one of these recipes from my cookbook …
Grandads Cookbook may reference or include sections of text and images reproduced courtesy of:
- mlsfotografia / Getty Images