Sometimes less is more, and this really simple Portuguese tomato salad is much better than the sum of its ingredients.
It reminds me of warm summer evenings on the Algarve with some freshly caught fish, the salad, and of course an ice cold Sagres or Super Bock beer.
This simple but delicious salad makes a great accompaniment for meat or fish. Make it in advance to let the flavours mingle and you will be delighted.
Personally I prefer to use red onions for their milder flavour, but you can just as easily use white onions.
Portuguese Tomato Salad
- 5 Tomatoes
- 1 Red onion
- Olive oil
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 Lemon or lime
- Fresh coriander or mint optional
- Slice the tomatoes into rings and set aside.
- Slice the onion into rings and set aside.
- In a medium size serving bowl, place a layer of the sliced tomatoes and sprinkle lightly with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Place a thin layer of the sliced onions on top and drizzle lightly with olive oil.
- Repeat layering the tomatoes and onions in this way and top with the coriander or mint leaves if using.
- Finally drizzle all over with a good squeeze of lemon or lime juice.