An easy chicken casserole recipe should be in every cook’s little black book and this one will go down well with all of the family. Serve with mashed or boiled potatoes or rice.
- 8 Chicken thighs Bone in, skin on
- 1 tbsp Olive or rape seed oil
- 1 Onion thinly sliced
- 5 cm Chorizo sausage thinly sliced
- 150 g Small mushrooms halved
- 3 Medium carrots
- 20 g Plain flour
- 1 tsp Thyme
- 500 ml Hot chicken stock
- 150 g Broccoli florets
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/Fan 170°C/Gas 5. Season the chicken thighs all over with a little salt and lots of black pepper.
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan over a medium heat and fry the chicken for 7–8 minutes, skin-side down, or until the skin is nicely browned. Turn and cook on the other side for 3 minutes more. Transfer to a plate.
- Return the pan to the heat and add the onion, chorizo and mushrooms. Fry over a medium-high heat for 4–5 minutes, or until lightly browned, stirring regularly. Tip into a medium, lidded oven-safe pan or casserole. Add the carrots and flour and toss together well.
- Sprinkle with the thyme, then pour in the stock, a little at a time, stirring well between each addition. Add the chicken pieces back to the pan and bring to a gentle simmer. Cover the pan with a lid.
- Place in the oven and cook for 45 minutes. Take out of the oven and stir in the broccoli. Return to the oven for a further 15 minutes, or until the chicken and broccoli are tender and the sauce has thickened.
- Serve with mashed or boiled potatoes, or rice