An easy chicken casserole recipe should be in every cook’s little black book and this one will go down well with all of the family. Perfect on a cold winters evening.
- 8 Chicken thighs Bone in, skin on
- 1 tbsp Rape seed oil or olive oil
- 1 onion thinly sliced
- 5 cm Cooking Chorizo thinly sliced
- 150 g mushrooms small, halved
- 3 carrots medium
- 20 g Plain flour
- 1 tsp Thyme
- 500 ml chicken stock hot
- 150 g Broccoli florets
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/Fan 170°C/Gas 5.
- Season the chicken thighs all over with a little salt and lots of black pepper.
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan over a medium heat and fry the chicken for 7–8 minutes, skin-side down, or until the skin is nicely browned. Turn and cook on the other side for 3 minutes more. Transfer to a plate.
- Return the pan to the heat and add the onion, chorizo and mushrooms. Fry over a medium-high heat for 4–5 minutes, or until lightly browned, stirring regularly. Tip into a medium, lidded oven-safe pan or casserole. Add the carrots and flour and toss together well.
- Sprinkle with the thyme, then pour in the stock, a little at a time, stirring well between each addition. Add the chicken pieces back to the pan and bring to a gentle simmer. Cover the pan with a lid.
- Place in the oven and cook for 45 minutes. Take out of the oven and stir in the broccoli. Return to the oven for a further 15 minutes, or until the chicken and broccoli are tender and the sauce has thickened.
- Serve with mashed or boiled potatoes, or rice